Friday, October 24, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Sabres Due to Make Decision on Grigorenko

  • Text size: + -
Rochester: Sabres Due to Make Decision on Grigorenko
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

What will the Sabres lineup look like Tuesday night as they try to snap a three-game skid against the Leafs? Lindy Ruff is optimistic that Thomas Vanek will return for the game. As for the Sabres' youngest player, Don Heins has a look at that decision.

For now, at least, Mikhail Grigorenko's still here; unsure if he'll be lacing up his skates when the seats are full Tuesday night.

The Sabres are still deciding whether or not to keep their 18-year-old top pick. They've used their allotted five-game tryout, and if he suits up again it will take a year out of his entry level contract.

"Nobody spoke to me about this. My position is just to play hockey, go out there and work so hard. Right now, I am just waiting," Grigorenko said.

Waiting to see if he's done enough to stay. Grigorenko is still scoreless, but took a big step Sunday - logging his season high 17 minutes of ice time.

"The way Mikhail's come in, big body with a lot of skill, he looks like he fits in with this team," said Tyler Myers.

Believe it or not, this decision may come down to Grigorenko or Ville Leino - deciding which player would be a better fit at the center position for this hockey club. Of course, Leino's been hurt through the middle part of this season and did struggle when he played in the middle last year. But the organization will consider giving him another look there if they elect to return Grigorenko to the junior level.

"We've got issues at center with winning draws and the youth at center ice and whether Ville (Leino) could come back in and play. That's all parts of the discussions there with center ice," Ruff said.

"They could do a lot of things, so I'm ready for everything and anything they will say I'll accept it," said Grigorenko.

A decision could come before Tuesday night's game, or Lindy Ruff said it's even possible the team will scratch Grigorenko, allowing them to prolong the decision.

10.11.12.245 ClientIP: 54.167.144.4, 23.0.160.61 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP