Monday, December 22, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 


Finger Lakes

Family of Man Shot by Police Speaks Out

  • Text size: + -
Rochester: Family of Man Shot by Police Speaks Out
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Three sisters and a niece addressed concerns regarding the shooting of their loved one.

They claim Powell's niece, Sharon Bell, received a call from a friend two days after the incident, telling them Timothy had been shot. His sister then contacted the Rochester Police Department trying to get information.

Police say Powell was armed with a knife and a bottle of bleach as they tried to evict him from his apartment at Cooper Union on State Street. A scuffeled ensured and two officers fired at Powell, striking him in the hip.

"The first person I spoke to, very helpful, but then she went into this Category Four and I'm like, what is a Category Four? 'I don't know.' She put me on hold for about 10 minutes and still came back with the same answer, she does not know. How do you work for an agency and don't know their operational system?" asked Joyce Powell, Timothy Powell's sister.

Powell's family says Timothy remains hospitalized in stable condition at Strong Hospital; however, they say police will not allow them to visit with him.

"I had to get on the phone and call all the local hospitals to find out what was going on with him. That's how we found out he was actually in the hospital and had been shot. Every day since then, I've called that hospital and they continue to say he can have no visitors or phone calls," Joyce said.

"He was under arrest and had not been arraigned. It is my understanding he has been arraigned, and once he is arraigned he is no longer in the custody of the Rochester Police Department, he'd be in the custody of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office," said Chief James Sheppard of the Rochester Police Department.

The Sheriff's Office tells YNN that Powell is charged with second degree assault, a felony, along with menacing. He is allowed no visitors as the hospital is not a secure facility. Powell remains handcuffed to his bed with a uniformed deputy stationed outside his hospital room around the clock.

Powell's sisters say their brother fell on hard times and left Washington, DC, six years ago. He came to Rochester looking for a fresh start. However, they've had no contact with him since. A family friend, living in Rochester, tried to keep up on his whereabouts.

"We've been trying to get in touch with him. First of all, we didn't have a valid address for him. We tried and tried and tried to find an address. Then the guy that lived here told us he's somewhere on State Street, but before we got to that point, we got the phone call," said Betty Franklin, Timothy's sister.

The Powell family says if it is not allowed to visit with Timothy, it will file a complaint with the U.S. Justice Department. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP